Friday, May 4, 2018

An Announcement: I'm Blogging Through the Disney Animation Feature Films This Summer


Hey, there.

So thanks to the twenty of you who voted in the summer project poll that I had open for the past month, it's decided: I'm going to do a blog series on the Walt Disney Animation Studios feature films this summer! THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.

I specify "Walt Disney Animation Studios" because as I'm sure you all are well aware, there is a metric ton of animated movies associated with the Walt Disney Company. I won't be touching the direct-to-home-video stuff (which normally come from different heads of the Disney hydra), Pixar, TV movies, or anything else that didn't 1) get a theatrical release and 2) come specifically from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Sorry, fans of Cinderella III: A Twist in Time. Maybe next time.

Wikipedia says that there are 56 Disney Animation feature films, starting with 1938's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and ending with 2016's Moana. But you guys don't need me to lecture you on one of the most culturally visible and lucrative movie studios of all time. Part of the fun of this series is that I imagine a lot of you have a lot more knowledge on these movies than I do (or at least a lot of memories to draw on). I'm excited to see everyone's commentary.

I've seen a great deal of the 56 canonical features, but there's a decently sized subset that I haven't seen (comin' for you, Saludos Amigos) and an even greater subset that I've only seen once as a child and have just vague, undefined memories of (it's been a while, The Fox and the Hound)—I'll definitely be watching/rewatching all of these. That said, there are also quite a few of these movies that have practically carved their name into my brain due to childhood inundation. I'll try to rewatch some of these, but realistically, I'm not sure how many I'll get to. The never-seen and barely seen ones are getting priority this summer.

The way I'm envisioning it right now, this project will essentially be formatted the same as my AFI 100 Movies project from several years ago—that is, 1-3 movies reviewed in capsule each post, with the movies I'm watching for the first time marked with asterisks.

Anyway, I have about 2.5 weeks of school left, and once that's done, I plan on jumping in head-first. So await post #1 in a few weeks.

Looking forward to this, guys! See you at Snow White!

Update: You can read the first entry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment