Tuesday, July 30, 2013

One Year Later: "Call Me Maybe"


It can be a fool's errand to explain in objective terms why we like the songs we do. Oftentimes, we like what we like, and that's that.

And I think that's okay.

There's no need to feel guilty about why you like a tune; it happens. We get obsessed with songs. That's not to say that we shouldn't discuss music critically or try to parse out why we like them or why there may or may not be ethical problems with some songs, etc. But as far as explaining why or why not a melody attracts us, this seems to be one of the least explainable and most subjective qualities in music criticism, especially in radio pop, where most of the songs do their darnedest to find the line between playful and irritating.

So, now that I've spent two paragraphs and change rationalizing what I'm about to say, here's what I'm getting at: I think "Call Me Maybe" is wonderful, and I would even call it one of the finest pop songs of recent years.

Seriously. Like, seriously. When "Call Me Maybe" spent nine consecutive weeks at the top of the pop charts, it was one of those rare, luminous moments when I felt like I was in on the national party that is Top 40 radio. I'd even go so far as to profess love for "Call Me Maybe;" luff, even—I luff "Call Me Maybe."

Yeah, I'm being a little over-the-top here. But I sincerely think it's a great song; no guilt or irony here. However, a lot of folks who know me find my adoration for such a piece of pop fluff to be inexplicable, given my other musical preferences (R.E.M., Miles Davis, and, um, progressive rock, for the most part). So, in answer to my friends' year-long befuddlement and in celebration of the rough anniversary of my first hearing of the song, here are five reasons why "Call Me Maybe" is great.

As I said before, there's a certain ineffable quality to the song—and every pop songthat defies explanation, much less my own infatuation with it. Listen, it's almost as mysterious to me as to my friends why I like "Call Me Maybe" as much as I do. But I'll do my best to quantify the tangible good in the song. And plus, it's been a year since its pop dominance; I say it's about time to reexamine its excellence. So here we go: five reasons.
  1. It's a freaking catchy song. Holy cow, is it catchy. I defy you to name a bigger earworm from last year. Once you hit that little skip in the melody at "Now you're in my way," you know there's no way that tune is ever going to let go. Not that all good songs are catchy, mind you. I happen to think that "Call Me Maybe" toes the aforementioned line between playfulness and irritatingness handily, but I know a lot of people who find that same catchiness annoying. To be clear: it would not be good if mnemonic tenacity were its only strength. That's why I've got four more reasons.
  2. It's short and sweet. Clocking in at just 3 minutes and 13 seconds, "Call Me Maybe" is brief enough to drop in, sprinkle its charm on listener ears, and leave without overstaying its welcome. Even if you dislike the song, you've got to admit that it's at least over quickly. Not only that, but the song has a airy sweetness to its melody that makes it go down easy. It's lightheartedness gives it a nimble sound that makes it a joy to experience. There's nothing heavy about the song whatsoever, and this is, I think, what rescues the lyrics from their would-be triviality; the song never tries to be anything but trivial, right down to its musical arrangement. It would be annoying and trivial if the song were a "Someone Like You"-esque, stone-cold-serious, bleeding-heart ballad. But it isn't. It's fun and light and nothing but fluff...
  3. ...except for that "call me" moment. Okay, here's where I get a little overly analytical. There's this one moment in the chorusthe most important moment, I might arguewhen Carly Rae sings, "But here's my number/So call me, maybe?" And yeah, duh, of course she sings that, since it's the title of the song and everything. But it's the way she sings that pair of lines, specifically the way her she sings the "call me" part, that is subtly great. At the word call, her voice cracks ever-so-slightly, and the tune takes a momentary shift to a minor chord. It's this fantastic moment of vulnerability in the center of all the song's fluffiness, and it proves that there's a heart at the center of this song. Robert Christgau says that a cornerstone of pop music is "sadness made pretty," and if this is true, "Call Me Maybe"'s moment of vulnerability is just the touch to make the song essential pop.
  4. Then there's the music video. Dat music video. Not to let anyone think Ms. Jepsen was too serious about "Call Me Maybe"'s content, the video introduces a vicious streak of self-parody to the song's tone. Please, do yourself a favor and watch it. Mute the sound if you must, but... just watch it. It's one of the most hilarious and self-aware music videos to come out of the music video renaissance of the YouTube era.
  5. The response of the culture at large. Every once in a while, some bit of pop culture ephemera hits all the right chords to take on a mutated alternate life outside of its original context that goes way beyond anything the original creators envisioned. Such is the case with "Call Me Maybe," which has been subject to an unusual outgrowth of Internet parody, tribute, and mimicry. My three favorites: NPR's spoken-word rendition, Cookie Monster's "Share It Maybe," and, most gloriously, this arrangement for choir and orchestra.
Oh, and bonus reason #6, for all you bandwagoners out there: "Call Me Maybe" even got a fair amount of critical acclaim. Pitchfork (I mean, goodness, hipper-than-thou Pitchfork) ranked it the 29th best song of 2012, Rolling Stone called it the 50th best, and The Guardian called it the best song of last year. And that's not even all the accolades it collected. Do a quick Google search on last year's year-end lists. "Call Me Maybe" pops up a surprisingly frequent number of times.

But listen, I know lots of people who hate it. Maybe you even hate it. And that's okay. You like what you like. But let me know why you hate it in the comments. I'll be happy to discuss.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment